Whitefield Bowling Club was formed in 1882 on land leased from Lord Derby. A small clubhouse was put on the site and a photograph of the original clubhouse is displayed in the current clubhouse.
In 1890 the land was offered for sale to Whitefield by The Lord Derby’s estates and the Club successfully secured a mortgage and in 1891 formed a Company Limited to ensure the long term principles of community access and sustainability.
The principles and objectives for the Company Limited has always been to provide a community resource accessible to everyone and that has been achieved for 130 years. The Company Limited and shareholders do not profit and income is used to manage the facilities and provide a welcoming and open club. We are extremely proud to actively support Bury Hospice.
During the first world war Whitefield Bowling Club supported injured and convalescing troops by providing subsidised food and refreshments. We continue our community ethos and principles by providing allotment spaces (free of charge) and a community facility for people to meet and chat in the afternoons and evenings or quietly sit in our beautiful grounds overlooking Stand Church and watch the bowling.
Plans to develop Whitefield Bowling Club have been outlined in the recent business plan prepared by the club directors in July 2021. To download a copy of the business plan click here.